Mochiko chicken is delicious. It’s sort of an island style chicken nugget. It’s definitely more of a Japanese/Hawaiian dish. You can purchase some Mochiko Flour or Aloha Soy Sauce from online stores. The cornstarch and rice flour make a light batter and the Aloha Soy Sauce (Shoyu), Garlic and sesame seeds make the batter deliciously flavorful! Serve hot over rice or shredded cabbage.
Prep Time: 4 hours to Overnight for marinating.
3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/4 cup Mochiko Sweet Rice Flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons Aloha shoyu (aka soy sauce)
4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup green onions, sliced (optional)
2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
1. Cut chicken into nugget-sized pieces.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together mochiko flour, cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
3. In a small bowl, combine eggs, shoyu, and garlic.
4. Whisk shoyu mixture into flour mixture, until combined and smooth.
5. Add chicken to mixture and stir gently.
6. Marinate at least 4 hours; overnight is even better.